(Inspired by Derek Sivers)
- I haven’t written much all year because I’ve been getting other parts of my life, like home maintenance, self-care, health, etc., back on track and developing routines to keep them there. I really let a lot of stuff go the past few years, so it feels good to reach some sense of order again.
- Thanks to a whole food plant based diet, I’m down 12 pounds since January, which is huge for me (I’m petite, so weight loss is slooooooooow). Clean Food Dirty Girl continues to rock my food world!
- I saw the musical Six in Chicago and highly recommend it! It reimagines the six wives of Henry VIII as a pop band and is silly, loads of fun, and surprisingly empowering. The pre-show music was a treat too: I didn’t knew I how much I needed a harpsichord version of Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” until I heard it.
- I deleted my remaining novel WIP, which was about 20K words in. It took a lot of trust–I had to trust that even though it was pretty good, I could write something even better without the crutch of the earlier draft. So now my hard drive is completely empty, a true fresh start. :deep breath:
- I outlined a short story last month. I guess that’s better than nothing? Now that my life’s settled down, it’s time to start writing stories again. I’m a bit nervous because it’s difficult to push away all the well-meaning, but harmful writing advice I’ve accumulated in my brain. Over the years, I’ve become so cautious that it’s hard to write at all, let alone enjoy the process (this is what can happen when you focus too hard on getting published and pleasing readers). What I want to focus on now: writing for myself and, I hope, recapturing the joy I used to have.
– June 2019